New Normal
Like everyone else, I thought back in January-February that this whole corona virus was just another novelty that would eventually get pushed down my news feed.
It's interesting what you learn about yourself in times like this. I'm somewhat surprised at how well I've adjusted to being at home 24/7 (I haven't left our house - other than taking my car for a spin and taking walks - in probably a month).
For me, repetition leads to a fast normalization. Now that I've had several weeks of being at home, doing school online, doing church online, talking to friends online...it just seems normal to me. As if life had always been like this. It's going to feel weird when this ends and I actually start going places and seeing people.
School has moved online for the rest of the spring semester. We've only got 4 weeks left now, and I've been super blessed with a smooth transition. All my courses can easily be taught in an online format, so I was able to roll right from spring break back into the swing. Only one of my classes still has a regular in-person phone meeting. The rest are all work at your own pace. I try to segment my work based upon the day when the class was originally scheduled. It helps to bring some structure to it.
Not all of my friends were so fortunate. Those in the medical field are having their classes shortened/all the material crammed together/ hustled towards boards. My engineer friends are (somehow) doing labs and stuff online.
In other news....I registered for senior year classes today! I'm really looking forward to senior year - lots of great classes and stuff to do. I'm especially excited for my Market Research and Consumer Behavior courses (the latter is basically the psychology behind making purchase decisions).
I'm also super excited for my marketing internship with Advanced Technology Services (ATS) this summer! It's an industrial maintenance company in north Peoria, and they have an incredible marketing team! God truly provided for me - (good) marketing internships aren't exactly easy to come by, especially if you don't live in a big city. I came across an advertisement for the position online, applied, and got the job three interviews later.
Fun marketing fact for the day (I learned this from a video in my marcom class): research shows that consumers tend to navigate grocery stores in a counter-clockwise fashion. Readers on carts can track movement through the store, and this allows the grocery store to arrange their items in such a way that maximizes the time you spend there. Ever noticed that basic essentials like bread and milk are NEVER located next to each other? You have to travel across the store to collect all the basics, with isles of goodies in between.
Some of you probably think that's cool....some of you are probably creeped out:) Don't shoot the messenger here, I just think it's fascinating.
In Christ,
Kyle
I'm also super excited for my marketing internship with Advanced Technology Services (ATS) this summer! It's an industrial maintenance company in north Peoria, and they have an incredible marketing team! God truly provided for me - (good) marketing internships aren't exactly easy to come by, especially if you don't live in a big city. I came across an advertisement for the position online, applied, and got the job three interviews later.
Fun marketing fact for the day (I learned this from a video in my marcom class): research shows that consumers tend to navigate grocery stores in a counter-clockwise fashion. Readers on carts can track movement through the store, and this allows the grocery store to arrange their items in such a way that maximizes the time you spend there. Ever noticed that basic essentials like bread and milk are NEVER located next to each other? You have to travel across the store to collect all the basics, with isles of goodies in between.
Some of you probably think that's cool....some of you are probably creeped out:) Don't shoot the messenger here, I just think it's fascinating.
In Christ,
Kyle
Comments
Post a Comment